Monday, September 26, 2005

Computer science and girls ???

Computer games. It would be my last but one option for entertainment in this world.No variety of Comp game has ethused me.Nothing from the ever dragging strategy games to the action packed thriller stuff.Plus I dont have a brother to endlessly keep talking about them .Hence I remain totally ignorant and disinterested in them."These are supposed to improve your reflex . Play ...." Owing to such thoughts I have installed a variety of games...But all games failed to electrify me.Some times I wonder if I would pass out as a decent computer grad without playing these games... The thought still terrifies me.


( read this too - LINK )

Computers.Being a branch of Engineering . A branch of electronics plus mathemathics . It is surely not a male dominated science.But without second thoughts it is a boy's playground.Girls have not much business there.From the varieties of books written( the authors make it a point to use only "shes") to the wide range of computer games..(not to forget the mags ...) there is a male stamp.Not to forget the jokes cracked and the illustrations made..

And how many girls love their computers. Such links amuse me :( LINK). I really dont know about the number of girl geeks in the top universities.But here in my college less than a percentage of girls give a damn to their computers.Forget finding geeks.....

I sometimes wonder if girls are not competent enough to be good programmers. I bet they can master the software engineering process. But how many hard core girl programmers can we count ??I think in a staightforward manner and can do a decent amount of logical and rational coding . But when it comes to innovation and algorithm writing ..... Oki I am not a geek.

Girls who fiddle.Can girls even fiddle ?? I cannot. Not because I am scared or anything but I simply dont bother. I have sat through many endless sessions where guys discuss some installation or some graphics card or some games or some troubleshooting process
(courtesy debugging commitee ).I always had to remain uncomfortably silent for a long time.

Have I landed up in the wrong course. I am sure I have not . I love all that I study.I enjoy mathematics and love my computer.Still I cant paly games or fiddle ........

Disclaimer:This is not some piece of article written for female rights ( or the like ) . These are confused thoughts of a girl who is studying Comp Sci...

And read this if you are still not bored:
LINK





9 comments:

Vetty Max said...

Not only Comp Sci gals...even gals in general seem very uninterested in anything to do with the comp and its improvement. Any prob with the comp at my home, its either me or some outside person who sorts it out, my sis never tries to do anything. Girls are even afraid of changing the OS, installing a software, etc...don't understand why.

And Comp Sci is a science, not engineering.

But girls must be making good programmers, or else why would every s/w company recruit so many gals.

Radha said...

wel..mayb its got smthg 2 do wit de stuff written in de book.."Why men cant listen and women cant read maps".but al in al i think itz a prejudice which de guyz have got.

i think de guyz sud understand tat jus bcos girls don wanna do smthg doesn mean they cant.its jus tat they r plain "not interestd"!!

Harini said...

@ k7
When I ever I have to say Computer Science I will write it only as Computer Science and Engineering.Because there is a big story behind it.Will try to explain in another blog if possible.
I dont care about girls in general .But atleast the Comp SCi girls shd be interested na...

@ Radha
It is not the predudice the guyz have got.It is what I have got ....

Anonymous said...

lol
If you cant figure out why u r doing something just quit it if u have simmilar or better option
but if u dont have options then try to either get interested in what u r doing
if u cant do that too just do what i am doing ...just push along :D
anyways skill to play a game has nothing to do with being a game programmer.. u r provided with details and u dont have to think anything about game play at ur job !!
so chill out :D

Anonymous said...

lol
If you cant figure out why u r doing something just quit it if u have simmilar or better option
but if u dont have options then try to either get interested in what u r doing
if u cant do that too just do what i am doing ...just push along :D
anyways skill to play a game has nothing to do with being a game programmer.. u r provided with details and u dont have to think anything about game play at ur job !!
so chill out :D

Harish Suryanarayana said...

Hello there .. There is something about computer games that you should consider .See why do people play a game and why does it get addictive even at times ? It is because of the sense of power it gives to a person .It makes you the Hero .It makes you king.It would be a happy escape from a world in which they would like to be better but cannot change it . These simulations allow this. The fact that you dont seem to like them much is probably an indication of the fact that you dont have any complaints about your life and you like the real world more . Good for you :)

vaasu said...

it's very true...may be somethings are not to be questioned...they are the way they are...

happy blogging and njoy life....

lastly..girls do well in comp sci..one of my frnd works in tcs and she is the sole leader managing and doing all the teams coding....:)

smiles,
vaasu

Phoenix said...

May be you are theone who likes to create comp games than playin it ;-) !

Anonymous said...

well when it comes to d questin of ur interests i guess u find them borin coz u know u can do it and would rather do somethin more challengin...