Thursday, August 03, 2006

Waste Products ???

The BTechs are the Products of the IIT.The MTechs are the Byproducts and the researchers are the Waste Products of the IIT !!!


This was what I heard from a fellow student on the first day after enrollment into a research course at the IIT . Wow .. Superb Beginning . I thought..
Almost 2 weeks later we had a formal orientation by the hi-funda IIT ,star studded IIT acads and other arbit offices. Some guy walks onto the huge dias at the SAC where a whole lot of PG freshers were seated ..( All MTechs, MS , MSc , PhDs and even MBA makkal were there ). He says ... " Okay JEE is a real tough exam ... But even you guys have gotten here thru .. GATE , JAM , JMET .. Even thats almost equally competetive ... So U r no less types .... "
Well ... We ourselves were not comparing or anything with the Jrs... Are they fueling us or what ? ... I had also initially thought about this BTech issue .. But then I told myself ..U r a lil older now .. Have an objective attitude toward this .. behave matured !!!
There were some more people who gave some offensive opinion about PG and stuff ..

But for this stupid orientation .. I liked everthing else abt IIT ... The place ..The building .. The atmosphere .. The hostels.. The Canteen ..
All the profs were very nice to me...( till now )
I liked the labs .. the department .. the monkeys .. new friends ...

I sometimes tend to compare it with easwari ... There seems to be one difference the Freedom ... Somehow people here enjoy lot of freedom in everything .. from dress ...to wat course to take to cell phone usage to attendance ... to lot of things .. But again people feel more freedom needs to be given .. Maybe .. First I see the striking difference between stifiled Easwari environment and here ...

Easwari did not impart any Computer Science education to me ...infact only the final BTech proj was superb ... rest was almost self learnt stuff ...But I did have a nice time there ... Also I got a superb friends circle ...

I really hope I get the best of CS and other stuff here .
Wish me luck .

10 comments:

Aravindan said...

LOL!

same case everywhere!!!! i was expecting u to talk abt this sooner or later..

personally i don have a problem accepting my inferiority though!!

dont get deterred by these things..coz u don have an option anyway:))..and u don need anyone to tell u that u r good enough if u r really good enough..Best Wishes for coming out in flying colours which i m sure u will!!

Vetty Max said...

Unfortunately we guys do happen to have a not so great opinion of the Mataks as we call them. Its probably because its sort of like two different worlds, we very rarely interacted with the PGs.

But again, clearing GATE is no joke. :-) I know of lots of IITians, B.Tech makkal that is, who have done really badly in GATE.

All orientations suck big time. And you'll soon stop liking the mess too.

All the best. :-)

Taruna said...

:-)

Good Luck for a great time at IIT in all respects.. academically and otherwise..

When you get to study and do what you want to do, all other trivia will cease to exist.. so, dont worry about it!

Asuri Sudarsanan said...

@ that opening remark -- take this from me... "BTechs are the products, and the researchers are the investment."

@ you -- Welcome to the Graduate student life! :)
dont care a damn abt those 'snobs'..
keep up ur good work.
now, u r just begining, and i am already one yr old.. u may want to do one thing -- exactly after one yr, write a post with the same heading.. i bet u will feel a lot different from wat u r today... all the best! :)

Harini said...

@ Aravindan
It was Kinda irritating that day

@K7
Mess food ya ...

@Aruna
Hope its that way :-)

@Sriram
That was an encoraging one :-)
But dont call others snob... what did they do ?? Thay did not interfere
Ya .. I really I hope to continue to enjoy student life

Asuri Sudarsanan said...

i assumed the obvious, that, the remark was made by an undergrad IITian... dats y... :|

Anonymous said...

hey !

hope u r having fun in iit now.. dont worry about that stupid under grads/post grads thing !

so is it like an era change for u too ? or continuation of old college feeling ?

it certainly is very different for me !

Soupsticks - supriya said...

hey kalax wanted to congrtulate you for getting into the IIT ... seri scenu .....

Anonymous said...

hey

Anonymous said...

Ohh!!! I dont know that a nice thinker sitting inside u. great...claps for u.