Sunday, October 08, 2006

tryst with music

I got this new idea.To rekindle my interest in Carnatic music( and good music in general) I thought maybe should maintain an archieve of ragas that I listen to, the observations I make and similarities that strikes.However trivial the fact is an OL archieve can help me get certain facts straight and iron out misunderstangs ( Anu,Aruna,Sriram ..Listening ??? ).The posts will primarily be some concepts which I had understood ( ie some fundas flicked from the net),the songs I listened to this week and some trivial observations made....

In the last few days I listened to MS & Bombay Jayshree.
Some Mira Bhajans by MS( Yaad Aave , More tho Giridhara Gopal).I simply love the 2nd song . We had learnt that poem in hindi classes sometime in 9th std.The verse thatha ,matha,bandhu ,bratha appana na koi.... is simply beautiful sung with so much emotions of Mira.

One thing I believe I can do ( though I am not very sure) is to identify Bhairavi ragam.I must have hreard this song called "E Nati Nomu Phalamu" a haazar number of times.I heard an MS solo version of this and one with Semmagudi & MS.I like the way this line Sundaresha suguna brinda dasharatha goes..I dont know the technical terms..But when the line is repeated a number of times every time a kind of break is made at different places..And this break in the line kind of bubbles up the verse..Initially the whole line is sung in one go, then whole minus the last word and so on.

Then there is the "Bhavayami Gopala .." in Yaman Kalyani sung by bombay Jayashree.And some more in Nalina Kanthi and madhuvanti ragam.Also one song "Amba..." in Neelambari.


Thats it I guess...

9 comments:

Soupsticks - supriya said...

wonderful.........btw ......the bhaava of bhavayami gopalam lies entirely in the word "baalam"....and MS and MS alone can bring out that bhaavam ....

Soupsticks - supriya said...

blog rolled you :)

Aditya said...

been here as a result of some absolutely random blog browsing!!!
hope u dont mind...

You seem to have a profound knowledge about hindustani and carnatic music!!! Gr8.....

Will keep coming back...

Anonymous said...

hmmmmm..

a comment is missing !

;-)

Taruna said...

:-) .. Good start... but where did you disappear off to after that one post??

Unknown said...

bharavi ragam is very wonderful with lots of emotions. there are three particular songs which i like: 1. balagopala 2. emmayya rama
3. ma janaki
another favorite ragam is keeravani. what about u? i like your comments abt sunderesa ..neraval..

Sathish said...

u guess??

Anonymous said...

Been here as a result of some absolutely random blog browsing!!!

Nice blog... keep it up.. :)

Anonymous said...

Nice blog you have here. And good analysis too.

PS: Check out http://www.hummaa.com/index.php

It has a good collection of Carnatic music, and is one of my frequent online haunts.