Friday, September 22, 2006

The Golu Saga

After Diwali, Navarathri is my favorite festival.(Though off late my enthu for both have mitigated owing to various mundane reasons).Both were( and I guess still are ) highly entertaining festivals and digresses from other routine south indian festivals which primarily involves pooja and eating in some flavour or the other.
Diwali is of course fun with crackers ( I like calling Deepavali as Diwali)..


But Navarathri is really unique in many ways.It fetches around 10 days holidays for school kids giving a big breathing space.Golu being an integral part of south indian Dusherra gives a beautiful opputunity for creativity,fun and family get togethers.My happy memories related to the golu itself is because of the awesome time I used to have till a couple of years back.All teachers from school who are also mom's friends go on a Golu visiting spree.Of course I used join them.It was a great fun time for us( teacher's kids).We hired a cab and Finished the Nangalallur area first followed by madipakkam and T.Nagar .Almost every teacher had a special gift for the kids and something unique to eat.Then we were all made to sing too.Some people make "Theme" golus though of course we never managed to come up with any theme at our place.Some golus have fancy lightings.One guy near our home in Bang displayed all this mini projects(like the moving ship , and some sound sensors etc) in their Golu !!!
Then their is an aunty near by who displays some of her very beautiful paitings and Kolam in water in her golu.

Not that I study everyday .. But somehow for the past 4 years I invariabily end up studying on the saraswathi pooja day !!! Some how this post seems like a fifth std kids essay on "My fav festival" .. and here are the pics of our Golu ...


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice golu !

me has missed all festivals for the past 2 yrs..
dono where i wil be and wat i wil be doin for next golu.. keepin fingers crossd and hopin -home !

Soupsticks - supriya said...

wonderful to see you write about golu ......man the golu at your place is cute ....


promise me sundal and ill come home

:P

Aravindan said...

agree completely abt two things:-

1. fifth std kid :P
2. Golu romba azhagaa irukuu..enga aathula intha vaati moonu padi thaan vechirukaa..usually we have five atleast :-(

Harini said...

@ rada ...
Ohh ya ... rite na
Dont worry yaar ... next golu you will have things your way !!

@ Surpriya
I will give sundal... you come home
(No virtual sundal ... only real ones)

@Aravindan
1.Thank you ... I am soo proud that in your scale I have risen upto 5th std..

2.3 padi is like the minimum na ...
(2n-1) padis .. for n=2,3,4,.... :P

Taruna said...

Golu write-up - good one..... I want to try and come during this time atleast next year... for singing and sundal.. hmmm...lets see..

Nice pics...